1. Buy fewer more durable garments and textile products.
Silkbody lasts for years, silk being the strongest natural fibre. Our classic styles are enduring too.
2. When buying new products, choose those made with least energy and least toxic emissions, made by workers paid a credible living wage with reasonable employment rights and conditions.
Silk is still produced using the low-impact methods developed thousands of years ago. We personally visit our factories regularly and ensure they meet international standards - and ours! The ethical fashion rating app, Good On You, rates us highly. You can read more about our policies there. You can also check out how other brands compare.
3. Wash clothes less often, at lower temperatures and using eco-detergents, hang-dry them and avoid ironing where possible.
With Silkbody's natural odour-resistance, you don't have to wash it as often as cotton or synthetics. It dries so fast there's no need to use the dryer. If you hang it out straight away, ironing is also avoided!
4. Extend the life of clothing and textile products through repair.
We know our customers are not averse to a bit of mending. But with Silkbody this is hardly ever required anyway.
5. Dispose of used clothing and textiles through recycling businesses who would return them for second-hand sale wherever possible, but otherwise extract and recycle the yarn or fibres.
We're sure composting your garment counts as recycling here! Silkbody is almost fully compostable, as proven by company director David's photo of his own garden compost below. After 6 months only the synthetic label and polycotton sewing thread remains intact.
6. Buy second-hand clothing and textiles where possible.
Yes, your vintage habit is justified! We also have it on good authority that charity shops are very happy to receive Silkbody items as they have such good resale value.
7. Lease clothes that would otherwise not be worn to the end of their natural life.
We don't do wedding dresses or other low-use styles. All of our clothing is designed to be worn in a variety of situations and climates, making Silkbody a sound investment!
If you have any tips for reducing your environmental impact, we'd love to know about them in the comments.
Read the full report